Tips On Text Message Marketing
Email marketing can be effective, but successful open rates are around 10%, which means if you have a list of 1,000 contacts, then only 100 are actually opening your email.
For text message marketing campaigns, you can get almost 100% rate.
Since we are all glued to our phones, an incoming text message is often instantly read, making it an effective way to reach your audience with sales and promotions fast.
Text message (MMS) campaigns can be expensive though, and are often purchased on a credit-based system. Sending an image or long form text (SMS) often uses more credits, so it’s best to brainstorm the best ways to effectively use your budget.
There are various strategies you can use for successful text campaigns to drive sales, offer discounts to customers with abandoned carts, and increase your overall revenue.
Here are some tips for effective text message marketing:
- Promote your text list – Let your customers know that you offer text message promotions and give them an easy way to opt in. This can be social posts with “Text this number to sign up for our text list for exclusive offerings and be the first to know about our sales!” You can also add pop ups on your website offering a discount for enrolling in your marketing lists, and then can receive an instant text for 10% off for their first purchase.
- Write copy that is to the point – A text message campaign can only be a limited character count. This means you need to get to the point of your offering fast and effective. An example, “24 Hour Sale! All hoodies are 50% OFF for today only! Shop now! LINK”
- Always include a link with call to action – Text message campaigns should always have a call-to-action that links to your website or whatever you are trying to promote. Even if you are advertising a sale that is in person, use a link where they can sign up, view specials, enter a giveaway, or learn more. An example of this could be for a restaurant – “Free Appetizers today only at Joe’s Burgers! Check out our menu and make a reservation! LINK”
- Offer special promotions for your text list – Make your customers feel special for being on your text list. Instead of blasting them with every single promotion, carefully cater exclusive deals that they will feel are valuable. An example of this – “Thanks for being a loyal customer! Use exclusive code TEXTME for 10% off your purchase.”
- Use text messages to announce exclusive releases – Since text messages are often read very quickly, you can do exclusive announcements using this tool for limited releases or on-sale-now promotions. An example of this – “The greatest band ever is coming to town on March 15! Very limited tickets are on sale now! LINK”
With any successful campaign, you want to increase customer awareness and loyalty, without driving customers away. This means you don’t want to send text messages daily to your customers. Brainstorm the more important times and days you want to get your messaging out there, and stick to a schedule. If you blast people too much, they will get annoyed and are more likely to opt out.
It is best practice to always let your customers know how they can opt out if they wish to stop receiving your messages. You want to add text like, “To stop receiving special offers, reply STOP.”
Overall text campaigns can be a great marketing tool that will increase your sales and help you get your messaging out there. You can also promote contests, events, and whatever else your business needs to succeed. Get in touch with us to see how Elemerce can help your business grow today!