Why is Digital Advertising and Marketing Important for Your Business?
Digital marketing and advertising is a must have for businesses. Advertising drives awareness, and with more people shopping online than ever before, advertising needs to take place more and more where customers are already doing their research and their buying. But the term “digital advertising” can still feel overwhelming in terms of options and reasons why businesses should continue to invest in digital marketing efforts.
What “Counts” as Digital Marketing and Advertising?
The possibilities for businesses to engage in digital advertising are endless. It can depend on the type of business, product, and target audience, but there are options for every budget and almost every investment of time.
Some examples include:
- SEO: Search engine optimization focuses on creating optimization around keywords that potential customers may be searching for in an effort to help content rank higher in searches through Google and Bing.
- Pay-per-click ads: PPC ads help businesses rank higher in search, as organizations will pay for placement, which can drive traffic, but also comes at a higher price for advertisers.
- Social media ads: Social media ads function similarly to PPC search ads, in that businesses will pay for their ads to appear to certain audiences based on certain criteria, usually based on demographics of their target audience like age, location, and more.
- Email marketing: Email marketing is a direct form of advertising and marketing that reaches customers who have opted-in to communications or bought previous products and offers businesses a way to upsell, cross-sell, and continue to engage with interested audiences.
- Influencer marketing: Another form of digital marketing is connecting with people who have a significant following on social media. Businesses will pay these influencers – with money or product – to use their products and talk about them online to their audiences. This can increase brand exposure, although Instagram and other platforms have very specific guidelines about making sure that influencers and affiliates are transparent about which posts are being sponsored by advertisers and businesses.
While this is by no means an exhaustive list, it represents some of the more common ways that businesses of all sizes choose to invest in digital marketing.
In addition to the fact that digital advertising aligns with the way that modern people shop – online – the capabilities of digital marketing often help drive better, more tangible results and return on investment than traditional advertising.
- Personalization: Google advertising, Facebook ads, LinkedIn ads, and plenty more offer hyper personalization to target people most likely to benefit from your product and services. You can also re-target anyone who’s interacted with your social page or website, which is a great way to stay top of mind and help drive more engagement and ultimately convert to paying customers is linked to robust reporting. Almost every type of digital advertising offers an analytics dashboard that can track clicks, engagement, reach, and plenty more metrics to help you understand how your messaging is reaching audiences and what behavior it’s driving. This can help you tweak, adjust, and optimize your content.
- Scalability: Digital ads are easy to scale back and also increase spend on, depending on your budget, product availability, seasonality, and plenty more. Traditional ad buys – radio, print, TV – are often set for a certain amount of time and run until the contract is over.
- Accessibility and Reach: The biggest reason for putting time and money into digital advertising is that it meets your consumers where they are – at their desktop computers, on their mobile devices, on social media, email inboxes, and much more. Research has shown that organizations using social media ads regularly outperform their peers.
If your business needs guidance, direction, or support in your digital advertising marketing efforts, our expert team can help. Get in touch with us today to find out how we can help grow your business with the right mix of digital advertising.